The Dalmore + Chef Massimo Bottura’s 49-Year-Old Single Malt Whisky

Sotheby's will auction the rare "L'Anima" scotch to raise funds for the Food for Soul charity

Anyone who’s poured a dram of scotch during a good conversation can understand the origins of L’Anima, a one-off 49-year-old single malt from The Dalmore. The magnificent liquid is the result of a conversation between the whisky brand’s charismatic master distiller Richard Paterson and chef Massimo Bottura—one of the most acclaimed artists in the world of food. Bottura’s the brains behind Modena, Italy’s three Michelin starred …

September Scotch: The Dalmore Single Malts

Drink along with us as we explore five whisky brands from Scotland in one month

There are at least 115 single malt Scotch distilleries in Scotland. Some of them produce multiple brands within. This accounts for, by the way, only 8% of the market. The other 92% goes toward blended Scotch. But how does one navigate the elusive, delightful world of single malts? The answer is flavor—and a lot of times flavor pertains to region (though, with tremendous variation). For …