Spring is finally peeking out from behind the clouds here in NYC and the mercury is slowly rising across the hemisphere. Welcoming warmer weather means more than just shedding layers—your wardrobe can look forward to a lighter, brighter and slightly less formal break from winter wear. To help make the transition this season, Gilt‘s VP of men’s creative and editorial Tyler Thoreson offers five tips on how to master spring style with goods featured in their Spring Essentials sale. As part of Gilt’s commitment to keep members ahead of the sartorial game, their editorial team works in conjunction with the site’s bevy of emerging designers and exclusive brands—discounted up to 60% on a regular basis—to put it all together.
1. To start the season off right, dress down a spring suit by losing the tie and the socks. Pairing a pocket square with some blue or brown shoes can also add some spark to your look without getting “too matchy-matchy.”
2. If a new suit isn’t in the cards, Thoreson recommends livening up one you already own by changing up what’s underneath. Opt for a button-down in color with a brightly hued, textured tie or start with a patterned shirt and a solid tie to reverse the contrast.
3. As for footwear, says Thoreson, a lightweight suede shoe is the perfect spring essential, and chukkas, drivers or desert boots will anchor your wardrobe for the season.
4. Next up, the scarf. Spring’s lingering chilly evenings require an in-between layer which you can easily pull off in the form of a lightweight wrapper. Whether it’s a solid or subtly printed woven to pair with a suit or a more vibrant linen to go with casual, lighter denim, there are a range of options to keep you looking sharp and staying warm.
5. On the flip side of dressing down your formalwear, injecting some sophistication into your casual look will get you ready for spring. Thoreson recommends slim, trim shorts and shows the outfit with a pair of driving loafers which inject a pop of color in bright orange. The colorful shoes may seem tough to pull off, but Spring is the time to try—it’s not as hard as you may think.
To shop the Spring Essentials sale visit Gilt online.
Images courtesy of Gilt