Since starting Cool Hunting in February 2003, I have derived as much joy from designing the container as creating the contents. With each of our five previous redesigns, we have strived to push innovations in web design while simultaneously elevating the articles and videos we produce. With our previous iteration in 2010 we pioneered infinite scrolling and a sticky nav—both now industry standards. Today I’m proud to present the very long overdue sixth iteration of Cool Hunting.
This time around I realized that I couldn’t go at it alone and enlisted the help of friends and collaborators, HyperHyper. Best known for their animated GIF app and booth, PHHHOTO, the team also offers expert user experience design and development services. With a thorough and lengthy exploration, we arrived at the design before you which has been expertly integrated and expanded by Carol and Chris—our in-house crew.
The new Cool Hunting features bigger imagery, responsive layouts and a structure based on intention, not category:
- Today is our homepage and provides a look at the latest and greatest from every section and a magazine-like cover.
- Read holds our feature stories and narrative inquiries.
- Look is where you can sit back and watch videos and slideshows.
- Travel features our city guides and Word of Mouth stories.
- Buy includes all our favorite purchasable products from around the internet, plus our carefully crafted gift guides.
- Listen lists our daily tune, Private Jams and other music-related stories.
- Link is our filter on the news of creativity and innovation from a range of sources.
Have a look around the new site and drop us a line to share your thoughts.
Cool Hunting is an award-winning publication that uncovers the latest in design, technology, style, travel, art and culture. For over a decade our original content has informed the creative community that’s designing the future. CH is made in NYC by a talented team of writers, editors, videographers, designers and developers.